Wednesday, February 16, 2011

If it seems like I'm not myself, this past week and a half may have something to do with that. And FYI I'm venting so if you don't want to read the whole post please don't feel like you have to. This past week and a half have been a whirl-wind.
(sorry no pictures to entertain)

My mother passed away on the 7th. My siblings and I were in charge of the funeral. Word to the wise. Make sure your parents have a plan. There is so much that goes into a funeral. There were so many things that we had to guess.

To give you an idea. There is the mortuary they take care of the transportation of the body, the embalming, and most of the funeral itself. They can also take care of the flowers, programs, vault, obituary, death certificates and casket, depending on what you ask them to do. This doesn't include the headstone, or the cemetery interment (digging up the ground, and putting it back). And in our case it wasn't the mortuary that ripped us off, it was the cemetery. My grandma gave us the plot for my mom, but because it is a private cemetery they were able to set their own rules.

Example, this cemetery has rules about the headstone, and vault. The headstone must be flat, and if you go with a different company to purchase the headstone you have to pay a cleaning fee of $300 to put it in. The vault if purchased though them is $1200 but if you go though someone else it has a fee of $600 to put it in. And the interment is $1100, that the job I want when I grow up get paid to dig up the ground. Then the man that we talked to about the headstone said to estimate that it will be about 5 times the cost when we die. That is about $42000 by the time we die, holy cow that is quite the business.

We had some great support that help out. But because Beau is so little I had to take him everywhere we went. Which leads me to the next part. My brother and his family all had influenza this past week, add that to the fact that we had lots a places to go, and that
so many people that went to the funeral were sick Beau was admitted to the hospital.

Sunday morning when I was feeding him he seemed hot to the touch so I took his temperature and it was 101.3 under his armpit. We called the pediatrician and talked to the doctor on-call and he told us to go straight to Primary children's Hospital. Because he is was under 25 days old he had to be admitted for at least 24 hours. We spent Sunday, Monday, and most of Tuesday there. He was diagnosed with Influenza.

He was tested for lots of things including RSV. But because he is so little he's having a hard time getting over it, so they sent him home on oxygen. But at least he is home now and doing better. Funny thing about having a baby in the hospital we never missed our own beds so much.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. That must be very difficult. I'm glad Beau is doing better. What a scary situation!

growing5kids said...

I am sorry about your mom. I am glad she will not be suffering anymore. Good luck with getting him all the way recovered.